Note: Today’s episode contains some sensitive content related to infant deaths. Please use caution when listening.
If you had asked me 2 years ago what an infant inclined sleeper is, I would have told you I had no idea. If you had asked me if I knew what a Rock n Play was, I would have said of course! It was the #1 must-have recommendation for my registry from all my mom friends. I was told it would be a life saver. A little over 2 weeks before my daughter was born, the Fisher Price Rock n Play was recalled, and linked to the deaths of many infants across the country. How could this beloved product be the death trap the AAP claimed it to be? And if so, how was it approved and sold to trusting moms and dads for nearly 10 years? In this episode, we lay out the history of the Fisher Price Rock n Play infant inclined sleeper. It is a devastating story of willful negligence of big businesses who put profits over safety, and the heartbreaking effect it had on unsuspecting families.
Run Time: 55 minutes, 41 seconds
- While They Were Sleeping – Consumer Reports
- The Life and Death of Fisher-Price’s Recalled Rock ’n Play, a Wildly Popular Baby Sleeper – The New Yorker
- The Fisher-Price Rock ’n Play sleeper is being recalled – Vox
- Recalled Fisher Price Rock ‘n Play developed without medical safety tests – The Washington Post
- Fisher-Price recalls Rock ‘n Play amid pressure from AAP – American Academy of Pediatrics
Podcast: Play in new window | Download