Few things are as quintessentially American as child beauty pageants. And it turns out, they also originated from our home state of New Jersey! In this episode, Jen takes us back to the mid 1800’s to the beginning of the child beauty pageant craze. It goes through many evolutions until we get to the modern version and every step along the way is absolutely fascinating.
Run Time: 35 minutes, 27 seconds
- Child Beauty Pageants – Wikipedia
- What’s the History of Child Pageants?
- The Evolution of American-Style Child Beauty Pageants
- Child Beauty Pageants: Growing Up on Stage
- How Child Beauty Pageants Got Weird
- Annual baby parade, 1904, Asbury Park, N.J.
- Celebrities Who Competed in Beauty Pageants as a Child